Ingredients: 4 idlis, 2 cups sliced yellow and green bell pepper, ¼ tsp salt, 2 Tbsp oil for stir-frying (idlis and bell pepper).
Ingredients for Sauce: 6 whole red chilies, 2 Tbsp oil (canola or vegetable oil), 2 Tbsp soy sauce, 1 Tbsp vinegar, 1 Tbsp ginger paste or finely grated ginger, 1 Tbsp tomato paste, ½ tsp sugar, 2 tsp corn starch, 1 cup water.
- Boil the red chilies in about 1/2 cup of water until they become tender. Let them cool off.
- Blend all the sauce ingredients together – oil, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, tomato paste, sugar, and corn starch. If needed add more water.
- Boil the sauce over medium heat. Sauce should be pouring consistency. Set aside.
- Cut the idlis into small size pieces.
- Heat the oil in frying pan over medium heat. Add idlis and sprinkle the salt.
- Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until idlis turn light golden brown, take them out and set aside.
- In the same pan stir fry bell pepper for 2-3 minutes. Do not overcook the bell pepper, they taste better when they are still crisp.
- Add the stir-fry idlis to bell peppers. Pour the sauce and stir gently. Make sure idlis are coated well. Turn off the heat.
- Idli Manchurian is ready to serve.