Barley is a fibre-rich grain that is generally served as a rice substitute, and comes under the category of whole grains such as – oats and whole wheat that are known to shed kilos.
Health Benefits of Barley
- Barley helps in reducing cholesterol levels in the body as it contains beta glucan. It has cholesterol fighting soluble fibre that is said to keep cholesterol levels in check.
- Regular consumption of barley helps flush out toxins from the body and the intestines through the urinary tract.
Health Benefits of Barley Water
- Barley water acts as a diuretic, which makes it a natural remedy for urinary tract infections along with kidney stones.
- Barley water promotes weight loss, as it regulates the blood sugar level because of its low glycemic index properties. Moreover, it detoxifies body and cleanses the gut, keeping body healthy.
- Barley water comes packed with fibre that helps keep us full for longer, which further helps prevent from reaching out to fried or junk food. Fuller stomach and lesser cravings mean a healthy weight loss.
- The fibre content in barley water ensures smooth bowel movement by cleansing digestive system.
- According to Ayurveda, barley water is considered a digestive tonic that helps in facilitating the process of digestion, further improving stomach disorders such as – constipation or diarrhoea.
- When barley is soaked in water and strained, the calorie content automatically drops down. So, as compared to fizzy drinks, a glassful of barley water can do wonders on body.
Method for Preparing Homemade Barley Water
- In order to prepare barley water, select the pearled barley for effective weight loss.
- Boil some barley pearls until they turn soft. Make sure you add three volumes of water to one volume of barley as it tends to soak water.
- Now, strain and collect the water. Repeat until you don’t find any residue in the water.
- If you find the taste of barley water not-so-appealing, add a pinch of orange or lemon juice or honey to it. You can also add cinnamon stick to it or ginger to add some flavour to the water. All these condiments are said to help fasten the process of losing weight.
- If you want to sweeten it, add a teaspoonful of brown sugar, as it is less processed and may not make you gain weight.
- Store the barley water in refrigerator to make it last longer.